Hosting web fonts using Monotype’s CDN service
Monotype’s hosted web fonts service serves fonts from our CDN to ensure fast font delivery, no matter where your visitors are located. To host your web fonts using Monotype’s service:
1. Begin by clicking on your web project—in this case, our sample web project named “Web Project 01”—to open it in the main view on the right.
2. Next, at the top of the fonts list, click on the Embed code button.
3. From the "Web project embed codes" dialog, you may choose to include your fonts in your web application using CSS.
4. Copy the CSS code snippet by clicking on the Copy button.
5. Paste this code snippet within the <head> section of your web page. This script is used to download the web project from the CDN at runtime and track usage.
6. Next, from the “Font style CSS” section of the “Web project embed codes” dialog, select a font style from the drop-down menu to generate font-family, font-style & font-stretch style codes for use in your website’s CSS. Click on the Copy button to copy these.
7. Repeat the above step for all the styles you’d like to include in your CSS.
Please note: We’ve introduced a new generation of web font and digital ad hosting services. This means we have sunsetted the old technology, restricting what you can do with old web projects and digital ads. Here is a link to more details on this transition.
Self-hosting web fonts
Note: This feature is only available to customers who are signed up for the Enterprise plan. For additional queries, contact Monotype customer support at [email protected].
You can also download self-hosting kits for your web projects to serve your fonts from your own servers. To do so:
1. Click on the Download Kit button at the top of the fonts list in your web project.
2. Extract the downloaded .zip file.
3. Upload the fonts in the "Fonts" folder to your servers. This folder contains WOFF (.woff) and WOFF2 (.woff2) versions of each style in your web project.
4. The downloaded self-hosting kit also contains the following:
Sample Web Fonts implementation
Files: startHere.html, "startherefiles" folder
Open the "startHere.html" file to view the implementation guidelines for your web fonts, including the sample CSS. It also contains some basic troubleshooting steps in case you encounter any issues using the web fonts.
It also contains a highlight section to view rendering of web fonts in different point sizes using a waterfall model.
File: <Unique WebProject Id>.css
This is the recommended CSS that you should use in your website along with the web fonts. It is configured for optimal performance while downloading the web fonts for rendering.
It also contains a link to our tracking css "1.css" at the top, which is tied to the web project created on Monotype Fonts.
This CSS tracks web font usage and pushes that usage data back to Monotype Fonts for reporting and licensing purposes.
Monitoring font usage and reporting
Web font usage is reported as the number of page views for web projects and impressions for digital ads. As a Company Admin, you can easily monitor font usage by clicking on the Reports button below the name of a web project/digital ad in the main view, as shown below:
Click here to learn more about monitoring font usage and reporting.